Nong Khai Attractions, Attractions in Nong Khai, what to do in Nong Khai, Nong Khai Sightseeing

larger text smaller
nong khai attractions
Location: Mueang District
This monument in Changwat Nong Khai commemorates those persons who died in the suppression of the Haw Tribal Rebellion in the year 1866. His Royal Highness Krommaluang Prachak Silpakhom ordered this monument to be built at Muang Nong Khai so that the ashes of the combat heroes in the Haw Tribal Suppression Campaign could be buried inside. It is situated behind the Nong Khai Provincial Police Station. Later, in 1949, Changwat Nong Khai obtained a budget to renovate the monument to dignify the honour of those who sacrificed their lives. The construction site of the monument was then moved to the present location or the three-way intersection for entering into Nong Khai township The inscriptions are in four languages: Thai, Chinese, Laotian, and English, each side of the pedestal having one language. The province celebrates by paying homage during an annual fair held on March 9-15 of every year. Located in front of the old city hall. The cremated bones of those who lost their lives in the suppression of the Ho in 1886 have been contained inside the monument which was built by an order of Luang Prachaksinlapakhom, the suppression commander, to honour the good deeds of those who sacrificed their own lives for the nation. There are inscriptions in Chinese, English, Laotian and Thai on all four directions of the monument. A worshipping ceremony and a fair to celebrate the monument are held every year on 5 March. Phrathat Bang Phuan is at Ban Don Mu, 11 kilometres from town on the Nong Khai-Udon Thani road, then a road on the right onto Highway No. 211 to Tha Bo for 10 kilometres. This old pagoda is 34 metres high and houses the holy relics of Lord Buddha. It underwent major renovation in 1976 because the original fired brick pagoda collapsed. The temple still has the old pagoda, temple boundary markers and an ancient stone inscription. Furthermore, there is an ancient pool from which water was once used in blessing past city lords. Phrathat Nong Khai collapsed into the Mekong in 1847. Over the years the pagoda drifted to the centre of the river where it is seen today. Location: Mueang District
Luang Pho Phra ChaiThis bronze image of a seated Buddha is in the attitude of subduing evil. It has very fine characteristics. The lap width is 28 inches while the height from the base to the top of the finial is 41 inches. It is enshrined at Wat Pho Chai in Nong Khai municipal area. This sacred Buddha image has been enshrined since the establishment of the province. The history of this image relates to many parts of Thai history but it is unclear when it was cast or who cast it. HRH Prince Damrong Rachanuphap speculated on its origin in a book called 'Histories of Important Buddha Statues' which was published and distributed in a royal kathin ceremony in the year 1925.
Prince Damrong thought that Luang Pho Phra Sai was cast in Lan Chang Kingdom. According to legend, three princess were the persons who caused the casting. Another legend gives more derails, such as, King Chaiyachetthathirat's princess daughters were named Serm, Suk, and Sai. They had the unanimous idea to cast their own personal Buddha images. They then asked their father for support, thus leading to the king's command to cost three Buddha images having different sizes according to their ages, the oldest having the largest image. They were named accordingly, Phra Serm for the oldest and largest, Phra Suk for the middle sister and second largest size, and Phra Sai for the youngest and smallest image.
In the year 1776 King Tham Thewawong moved the three Buddha images to be enshrined in Vientiane. They were moved back to Thai territory again during the reign of King Rama III. However, a storm which caused the sinking of Phra Suk at the mouth of Nom Ngum River (Wern Phra Suk) did not affect the others. Phra Serm and Phra Sai were enshrined in Wat Pho Chai and Wat Ho Klong respectively. In the reign of King Rama IV, Phra Serm was moved to be enshrined in Bangkok while Phra Sai still remained in Nong Khai at Wat Pho Chai. On every full moon day of the 7th lunar month the people of Nong Khai celebrate Phro Soi by having. Location: Mueang District
Located in Phra That Bang Phuan Temple, Ban Don Moo, Phra That Bang Phuan was originally built with bricks in a local-style architecture. It houses the Buddha’s relics and features an Indian-style stupa which is the age as Phra Phathom Chedi. It was restored by the Fine Arts Department after collapsing in 1970. The pagoda is 34.25 metres high. With the temple compound, there are also other interesting ancient places such as Sattamahasathan or 7 important places in the history of the Buddha after his enlightment. Nong Khai residents hold a religious event to worship the pagoda on the 11th day of the waxing moon in the 2nd lunar month every year.

Opening Hours: Daily
Admission: Free
How to get there: Take Highway No.2 (Nong Khai – Udon Thani) for 11 km then turn right to Highway No. 211 to Tha Bo until km 10. The temple is on the right.
Hotels:: Hotels in Nong Khai Area Luang Pho Phraehao Ongtue Location: Tha Bo District
Housed in Wat Si Chomphu Ong Tue, Ban Nam Mong. This large Buddha image was cast from bronze by the royal artisans of the northern city and Lan Chang. Having graceful features, the 4 metre-high image is sitting cross-legged in the attitude of subduing Mara with a lap width of 3.29 m. It is a holy image which has gained much respect from the peoples on both of the banks of the Mekong River. According to a stone inscription, this image was built in 1562 by the royal command of Phra Chaiyachettha, King of Nakhon Wiang. The metals used included gold, brass, and silver, weighing a total of one Tue (an ancient scale of Isan) and it took seven years and seven months to finish the cast. The province has a fair to pay homage to Luangpho Phrachao Ong Tue every year on the full moon day in the fourth lunar month. Location: Si Chiang Mai District
Located at Ban Thai Charoen, Tambon Phra Phutthabat. The temple compound is spacious, clean and shady with various species of plants amidst tranquility. Its area on one side borders the Mekong River where a scenic view can be seen. Originally, this place was a Dharma practice place of Luangpu Thet Thetrangsi, a famous meditation master of Isan, who initiated it as a Dharma practice centre for Buddhist monks, nuns and pilgrims. After his death, a Chedi was built to enshrine his remains. Inside the temple, there is a statue of Luangpu Thet on display with the eight requisites (the three robes, the bowl, a razor, a needle, the girdle and a water-strainer) and his biography. A royal temple, located on Pho Chai Road in the Mueang Nong Khai Municipality. Luangpho Phra Sai, a sacred Buddha image of the town which is respected by the people of Nong Khai, is housed here. This Buddha image sitting cross-legged, which was cast from bright yellow gold in the posture of subduing Mara, has graceful features. According to legend, three daughters of the King of Lan Chang had three Buddha images cast and named each to associate with their names: Phra Soem, Phra Suk, and Phra Sai to the eldest, middle, and youngest siblings, respectively. Originally, the three images were housed in Vientiane. In the reign of King Rama III, they were invited to Nong Khai by boat. On the way to Nong Khai, Phra Suk was drowned by a storm. Phra Soem and Phra Sai were invited to house in Nong Khai. Later on, in the reign of King Rama IV, Phra Soem was taken to Bangkok. Phra Sai is still housed at Wat Pho Chai in Nong Khai. Every year on the full moon day in the seventh lunar month, the people of Nong Khai always hold a rocket merit-making fair or Bun Bang Fai to worship Phra Sai at Wat Pho Chai. Wat Hin Mak Peng Location: Pak Khat District
This monastery is located at Pak Khat , Tambon Pak Khat, approximately 500 meters from Amphoe Pak Khat township. From Amphoe Muang one can use Highway No.212 for 90 kilometers to Don Pak Khat. Wat Sawang Arom is located on a hilly area featuring rock formations, cliffs, and stone platforms with shade trees providing a peaceful atmosphere. There is also a small stream flowing by the main shrine hall. The hall is built in the shape of a bell and houses a sacred Buddha image. From the area of the main shrine hall, one may enjoy a beautiful bird's eye view of both Thailand and the Lao PDR. Located 3 km. from the town of Nong Khai on the right side of the route to Phon Phisai. Presently, it is under the care of the Nong Khai Buddhist Association. This place which looks like an open museum of religious statues was created with an inspiration of Luangpu Bunluea Surirat who built it around 1978, out of his own belief that the teachings of all regions could be mixed together. Therefore, there are Buddha images in different attitudes, Hindu gods, Christian religious icons, as well as character figures from the Ramayana epic and folk legends. It is open daily during 07.00 - 17.00 hrs. Admission fee is 10 Baht per person.

Location : Mueang District
The small museum is housed in the old city hall and exhibits mostly photographs from temples, famous monks and the old Chinese and Vietnamese communities as well as as some traditional tools and swords, ceramics, pottery and items from the nearby archeological site in Tha Bo.

Opening Hours: Monday - Friday, 08:30 am. - 04:00 pm.
Located on the route from Nong Song Hong to Amphoe Tha Bo. Here, bamboo trays are seen with Krayo pastry being sun-dried along the roadsides. Krayo pastry is used for Vietnamese food such as Popia (spring rolls) and Naem Nueang (wrap of pork and vegetables with spicy sauce). Krayo pastry is an export product as well. Location : Mueang District
At Ta Sadet Market, there are many local products, which make wonderful souvenirs. While walking through the market, there are many shops selling electronics, watches, jewelry, silver ornaments, ceramics, hand-woven cotton, and herbs. The goods available are cheap and the market is very easy to explore, as it is not very crowded. Here, visitors will enjoy perusing from stall to stall while relishing in the memories of the good old days of Ta Sadet the trading post.

Opening Hours: 07:00 am. - 06:30 pm.
Contact: Tel. 0 4242 1326 Location : Sangkhom District
This is the first Glass Skywalk in Thailand and was opened to the public in April 2016. It was built at Wat Pha Tak Suea over a cliff face overlooking the Mekong River and the natural scenery. The U-shaped Skywalk is made from stainless steel and laminated glass, is 16 meters long, extends 6 meter out of the cliff and can hold up to 20 people at a time.

Opening Hours: Daily

Location : Mueang District
This is a small aquarium showing mainly freshwater fish species from the Mekong river like the Giant Mekong Catfish and big Groupers. However, there are also some saltwater fish on display as well as fish skeletons. The big main tank features a walk-through glass tunnel, so you can watch the giant monsters right in front of you.

Opening Hours: Daily, except Mondays
Admission: 100 Baht
How to get there: 10 kilometer south of the city center on the grounds of Nong Khai University.